Crow's Hall, Debenham
Moated houses are a characteristic feature of Suffolk’s clayland. This one takes its name from a late 13th-century owner named John Crowe. However, the extant buildings are mainly 16th-century, and particularly from the time of a major rebuild c.1560 by Sir Charles Framlingham. East Anglia has about a quarter of all the moated sites in England, with Suffolk and Essex vying for the greatest number; Suffolk’s total is now at least 925.
Martin, E., Easton T. and Aitkens, P., ‘More moats in the landscape, Columbyne Hall and Crow’s Hall’, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology & History, vol. XXXVIII pt. 1, 1993, 107-111
Martin, E., ‘Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex: Medieval Rural Settlement in “Greater East Anglia”’ in N. Christie and P. Stamper (eds), Medieval Rural Settlement. Britain and Ireland, AD 800-1600, Windgather Press, Oxford 2011, 225-48