Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology & History
This is the Institute’s annual journal. Members receive the current year’s journal as one of the benefits of membership.
We are pleased to announce that all volumes of our annual Proceedings up to 2013 are now published online and are available free of charge from this website.
It costs us £780 a year to make our annual Proceedings available on the web free of charge. If you have found a useful article then we would ask you to consider making a small donation to help us cover this cost, and enable us to continue this service for everyone.
To browse these volumes, click here. We also provide a sophisticated search engine to help you navigate through the wealth of information that they contain on Suffolk history.
We will not publish post-2013 volumes on-line until five years after they first appear, but we will continue to send hard copies to our members and back volumes are available at modest cost.
Please click here to download full bibliographic contents listings of all issues of the Proceedings since 1869.
Notes for Contributors
Please click here if you intend to write an article for the Proceedings and wish to download a copy of our current Notes for Contributors.
Back numbers of Proceedings are for sale as follows:
- All parts of the two most recent volumes (volumes XL and XLI; as there are four annual parts in each volume these are the journals since 2001): £10 per part to members and £12 to non-members.
- All parts of volume XXXIX and earlier volumes (2000 and earlier): £2.50 per part to members and £3.50 to non-members.
Post and packing costs will apply. Please ask for current prices when placing your order.
Some parts, particularly from earlier volumes, are out of stock so to check the current availability of specific parts please contact Joanna Martin. (Very few parts before 1951 are in stock).
Indexes of the articles in past volumes of the Proceedings can be found in volumes X (1900), XXIV (1948) and XXX (1966) and the Institute’s Bibliography
All orders for back numbers should be sent to:
Dr Joanne Sear
8 Morland Terrace
enclosing a cheque payable to 'Suffolk Institute of Archaeology & History'.
If you wish to submit an article for entry in the Proceedings please refer to the Notes for Contributors.
Newsletters are issued twice a year in March (Spring) and August (Autumn). They contain details of the Summer excursions and the Winter Lecture programme, with dates and a brief description of the subject of each visit or lecture. History, Archaeology and Heritage conferences and recent publications relating to Suffolk are also outlined here, along with any newsworthy finds or discoveries, and general matters of interest to the SIAH membership. The Minutes and AGM agenda are published in each Spring volume.
The Institute has published the following books:
- A Dictionary of Suffolk Place-Names by Keith Briggs and Kelly Kilpatrcik (in association with the English Place-Name Society) £14 (£16 incl. p&p)
- Suffolk Church Chests by David Sherlock members £10 (by post £12) others £15 (incl. p&p)
- The Dovecotes of Suffolk by John McCann members £7.00, (others £8.50) plus £1.50 p & p
- Suffolk Medieval Church Arcades by Birkin Haward £10.00 plus £7.00 p & p (SOLD OUT)
- Master Mason Hawes of Occold and John Hore, Master carpenter of Diss, by Birkin Haward £1.00 plus £2.00 p&p (SOLD OUT)