Suffolk's Story 16


AD 869–70
Lakenheath: St Edmund

Lakenheath: St Edmund

In the winter of AD 869/70, King Edmund of the East Angles was killed by an invading pagan Danish army. He was soon after venerated as a martyred saint and his remains were buried in a monastery at Beadricesworth, which, by 1038, had been renamed Bury St Edmunds in his honour. Until the Reformation, his shrine was the major feature of the abbey.

15 Iken  16 Lakenheath  17 Bury
This 14th-century wall painting of St Edmund can be seen in Lakenheath Church:
http://www.lakenheathwallpaintings.org.uk/


Further reading

Collected essays on the legend, coinage, abbey and body of St Edmund in the 'St Edmund Commemorative Issue 869-1969', Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History vol. XXXP pt 3, 1969.

Briggs, K., 'Was Hægelisdun in Essex? A new site for the martyrdom of Edmund', Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, vol. XLII pt. 3, 2011, 277-291.