Suffolk's Story 23


1908
All Saints Church, Dunwich

All Saints, Dunwich

Photographed on the brink of its destruction by coastal erosion, All Saints was the last of the eight medieval churches of this celebrated ‘lost city’ to disappear beneath the waves. This once important town and port had already lost over 100 acres to the sea by 1086, but suffered vastly more in the following centuries. Now only a very narrow strip survives on the cliff top. The ruins of the medieval Franciscan friary (Grey Friars), once on the western edge of the town, are now perched close to the edge.

23 Fressingfield  23 Dunwich  24 Sudbury

For more information, see:
www.dunwichmuseum.org.uk/
www.dunwich.org.uk


Further reading

Parker, R., Men of Dunwich. The Story of a Vanished Town, Collins, London 1978

Bailey, M. (ed.), The Bailiffs’ Minute Book of Dunwich, 1404-1430, Suffolk Records Society vol. xx, Boydell Press 1992